Introduction to Meth
Methamphetamine or meth (in short) is a synthetic drug resembling amphetamine. It is manufactured by pharmaceutical companies using two important ingredients ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. It is used in cough and cold medication.
Meth is also manufactured in clandestine laboratories, also known clandestine methamphetamine laboratories (clan meth lab in short). The clan meth labs can be found in houses, garages, motel rooms, shades, etc.
The crystalline form of methamphetamine known as crystal methamphetamine or crystal meth is more potent form of the drug as reported by the Ministerial Action Group on Drugs, 2003.
In New Zealand clandestine drug laboratories are known to exist since 1980s and the first clan meth lab was discovered in 1996.
Meth Cleaning or Meth Decontamination
According to few researches meth cleaning is not only limited to removal of curtains and carpets but the whole house should be decontaminated. It has been also found that the components required to cook meth remains in the walls, building materials and common household items. These ingredients are less volatile and stick to the surfaces and are more threatening than the drug itself.
Some agencies and state governments follow some guidelines for meth cleaning that are listed below:
- The property should be seized by law enforcement agency.
- The professional meth decontaminating agents then remove all the chemical wastes and also bulk chemicals. If the house was used to smoke the drug, it is very important to air out the property.
- After removal of the waste, to promote volatilization the house is closed and temperature inside the house is increased to 90 degree F for few days. This is called heating.
- Again, the property is aired for 3-5 days to decontaminate any volatile residue present in the house.
- Next step is removal and disposal of the hazardous waste. All the hazardous wastes should be disposed in the local landfill by a licensed waste contractor.
- After appropriate cleaning, the walls should be repainted.
- If there is any trace of contaminants in the plumbing system, the plumbing contractor should be contracted for the removal of the hazardous wastes.
No clean up procedure can guarantee 100% decontamination. It is not allowed to rent, purchase or occupy a former meth lab property unless it has been fully decontaminated.
Importance of Meth Cleaning
It is very important to clean meth houses and labs because even small traces of the drug can be health hazardous to the people exposed to. Risks to infants and children exposed is the worst. Meth and the ingredients to cook meth is highly explosive in nature and less volatile. Proper method for removal and remediation of meth and other chemicals used to cook it should be employed.
Every country either developed or developing is facing the problem of drug addiction in youngsters and adults. This problem is not limited to any gender, race or community. It is killing the future of any productive and developing nation. Severe action should be taken on the offenders and the addicted person should be sent to rehabilitation centers.