Drug abuses are increasing day by day. Drug addiction is a common and a very serious problem in today’s world. Many developed countries like USA and New Zealand are facing this issue.
What is Methamphetamine?
Methamphetamine is a class A drug which is highly addictive and toxic in nature. It can be obtained in pills, powder or crystal forms. It is called by different names in different countries such as “P” or “pure” in New Zealand and “ice” in Australia.
Meth and the precursors are highly toxic and flammable in nature. The precursors of meth are also less volatile and stays in the surrounds for a longer period of time.
What are the Health Implications When Living in a Meth Contaminated House?
There can be both short-term and long-term health implications when living in a meth contaminated house. The short-term implications include headache, burning eyes, coughing, dizziness, etc while the long-term implications include cancer, birth defects and even death.
What are the Damages Caused to A Property by Meth?
Cooking inside any house or other properties cause damage to the property than just smoking in a house or a motel room. The property gets contaminated with the carcinogenic chemicals. The walls, roofs, ceilings absorb the chemicals, furnishings such as couches, carpets and beds also absorb the chemicals and sinks and other plumbing systems also get contaminated with meth and its precursors. In some cases, such as in clan meth labs need to be demolished completely due to high range of toxicity in the property.
How Can a Property Be Decontaminated?
Any property contaminated with meth can be decontaminated by following the guidelines listed below:
- Any professionals trained in handling hazardous materials should be contacted for cleaning purposes.
- The bulk chemicals should be removed along with the equipments used for cooking process.
- The property should be properly aired out.
- The contaminated furnishes should be removed and disposed properly.
- Airing out is very important as it removes the contaminated air from the property.
- Airing out should be followed by good ventilation.
- All the contaminated chemicals, household supplies and equipments should be dumped in the landfill.
- For plumbing system solution, the plumbing professional should be contacted.
After meth clean-up process, the meth testing should also be done to be 100% sure about the removal of all contaminants from the property.
Is Meth Contaminated House Covered in Insurance Policy?
Insurance policies for houses and automobiles have their own terms and conditions. Some insurance policies cover meth contamination. For claiming a policy, following landlord obligations are needed:
- Collection of 3 weeks rent in form of a bond registered with any services.
- Internal and external inspection should be completed in 3 months intervals time.
- A written record of the outcoming of every inspection should be kept.
Sampling and meth testing is an expensive process and can be a financial burden to the property owner. Meth clean-up procedure is also a costly decision and owners look for any policy that covers meth decontamination process.